Sunday, October 07, 2007

Deconstructing a write-protected USB Flash drive

Today, I tried to deconstruct a write-protected USB device to locate a switch that would re-enable the device. Here's the method.


Deconstructing a write-protected Kingston DataTravelerMini USB Device.


Weapon of choice: Clean Fucking Knife.

Using CFK, we start deconstructing by finding the weakest spot in its sturdy blue armor.


A successful deconstruction method should give us something like this. Not something like this.

That would make my Wiki-ed method of "write-enabling a USB" a great fucking failure.

With so much trial and errors I decided to give reformatting a try.


Using Access Check, I know I have access to do whatever I want with the USB device.


Yet, still.

If you have the same USB model and problem like mine, do not use this method. It's not the solution. I could only suggest you buy the "switched" ones next time. I will.

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

That's awesome. Do you know any site specializing in flash disk boards? Im kinda into it. I also do hard mods w/ my psp and ds. Cool site!

Recent posts



Search




Candies

Powered by FeedBurner
View blog authority Ranking.PinoyBlogosphere.Com Creative Commons License
[ You've reached the bottom. Scroll back to top ]